What is a musician? A musician is someone who can do more than just play an instrument. They have to also understand, write, interpret and feel the music. They have a good ear and can interpret music with others – this is called improvisation. Music flows through their mind and out of their fingers.
If you are wanting to be a musician, there are several steps you can take to get there. It will take time, patience, and tons of practice, but it is possible.
Here’s how to start:
- Learn music theory for beginners. It may be difficult to understand at first, but it can change the way you write or play music once you understand it. Not only will you know all the rules, and all the chords, but you’ll be able to use them at will and create music instead of just interpreting it.
- Get a “music theory for beginners” book. Learning materials are always useful, and you’ll need it as a reference while you’re learning.
- Work on your rhythm. Music is all about counting and beats. If you can’t keep a beat, you won’t know when to play and how to interpret the music correctly. What counts is that you are able to keep it steady. That way, when you perform either alone or with a group, you can stay together and interpret the music correctly.
- Play with others. Once you have learned to interpret music alone, it’s important to give group work a chance. It will help you learn how to harmonize, how to stay on beat, and is also a fun opportunity to make friends and hear how all the parts come together to make a masterpiece.
- Results take time. There are no secrets for excellence, it’s all about practice and dedication.